New South Wales
Forms and templates for allied health professionals
Complying with road laws
In New South Wales there are road laws relating to the transport of children with disabilities and medical conditions (under 16 years). These rules exempt the driver from transporting a child in an Australian standard car seat. However, there are different rules for transporting children under 7 years, and children 7 to under 16 years.
There are also vehicle standard exemption requirements for the legal use of seatbelt buckle covers.
Note: MACA is unable to provide advice regarding engineering certification requirements relating to safe restraint use. We are seeking support to develop national guidelines to assist in this area.
Children under 7 years (special purpose car seat)
The driver is exempt from transporting a child in an Australian standard car seat, providing:
* The driver is carrying a medical certificate that states the child is unable to travel in a Australian standard car seat because of their medical condition or disability.
* The child is travelling in a child restraint designed for a person with a disability or medical condition.
Children under 7 years (modified car seat, harness/vest)
The driver is exempt from transporting a child in a Australian standard car seat, and able to transport the child in a modified car seat or harness/vest providing:
* the driver is carrying a medical certificate that states the person should not wear a seatbelt because of a disability or medical condition.
Note: This only applies only to harnesses and vests that use the vehicle's anchorage point, and/or convert the seatbelt to a lap belt.
Children 7 to under 16 years
The driver is exempt from transporting a child in a Australian standard car seat or vehicle seatbelt, providing:
The driver must carry a medical certificate that states a medical practitioner believes the person should not wear a seatbelt because of a medical condition.
Seatbelt buckle covers
The NSW Vehicle Standards Information 49 (VSI 49) provides the conditions that must be met for the legal use of a seatbelt buckle cover, without needing to apply to Transport for NSW for approval.
VSI 49 is out-of-date and MACA has requested this be updated. MACA has been advised that this is being actioned. The current VSI 49 requires the following:
- medical certificate to be carried in the vehicle with the buckle cover manufacturer’s instructions attached.
- the seatbelt buckle cover must comply with AS 4370:1996 (note this standard is out of date) and be fitted in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.
- the seatbelt buckle cover must be removed when not being used by the nominated person.
For more information refer to MACA's buckle cover model policy.
Prescribers' sample referral to medical practitioner
Provides standard wording to help prescribers write a referral letter to the medical practitioner for the purpose of assisting the parent to get a medical certificate.
Sample medical certificate wording
Provides example wording that the prescriber can provide to the medical practitioner to support parents requesting a medical certificate.
The forms and sample letter templates in this section of our website are strictly for the use of health professionals. MACA bears no responsibility for unauthorised use of these forms as this may place children at risk.