Transporting Children with Disabilities and Medical Conditions
MACA's online course for health professionals
Assessing and prescribing for children's motor vehicle needs is a specialised area of practice. Developed with funding from the Australian Government Department of Social Services, the online training course: Transporting Children with Disabilities and Medical Conditions aims to build knowledge and confidence in supporting children’s motor vehicle transport needs (under 16 years).
Completing the training means you are eligible to subscribe to the MACA Hub, where you can access exclusive prescribing resources, professional development, and public listing on MACA's look up list.
With nearly 500 health professionals already enrolled, we invite you to join today.
About the course
Suitable for both novice and experienced health professionals, the course provides nine CPD hours and a certificate of completion. Delivered on the FutureLearn online platform, participants progress through the course at their own pace, and have ongoing access to course content after completion. The course content covers:
- Children’s vulnerability as road users
- Road safety principles and approaches
- Vehicle standards and road rules
- The leading role of allied health professionals
- Vehicle restraint products and devices
- Best practice prescribing approaches and tools
- Common transport challenges
- Scope of practice and restrictive practice
- Importance of good documentation.
Please note that the course does not cover wheelchairs or public transport.
The MACA Guide
Course participants receive a free copy of the MACA Guide, Australia's leading prescribing resource.
This comprehensive prescribing tool, includes easy to use templates and aims to assist with clinical reasoning and documentation requirements.
MACA Hub subscribers get access to revised editions of the MACA Guide, and other helpful prescribing resources, such as Product Guides for special purpose car seats.
Find out more about the MACA Guide here.
Cost and enrolment
Free training offer for NSW and Tasmanian health professionals
Transport for NSW has funded 100 places for eligible NSW health professionals. These places have now been filled.
The Department of State Growth has funded 40 places for eligible Tasmanian health professionals. A couple of places are still available. Find out more and apply here.
Health professionals in other states and territories
MACA offers a significantly discounted rate for Australian health professionals and students compared to the public rate of $949.
- Occupational therapists
- Rehabilitation engineers
- Medical practitioners
- Students of allied health or another relevant course
- Individual: $590 (excl. GST)
- Organisations: $490 (excl. GST) per person - available for groups of five or more health professionals from the one organisation
Discounted rate enrolment
- Complete this short survey to confirm eligibility.
- If eligible, you will be sent an email with an invoice.
- Once paid, you will be emailed a receipt and a unique link to the course.
Full course cost
If you are not eligible for the discounted rate you can find out about the course and enrol here. The full course cost is $949 (excl. GST).
Funded by the Australian Government Department of Social Services
Thank you for providing a wonderful learning resource and guide. I will definitely be encouraging other I work with and supervise to complete this.